This recipe is for those that love having a home-cooked meal, but don’t have time to make it. In other words, a crock pot meal. I tried this recipe and was very impressed. The concept is easily adaptable to other meats and sauces.
Open Faced Chicken Parmesan SandwichesPrep time: 6 minutes Cook time: 7 – 8 hours in a crock pot Oven time: 5 minutes Makes up to 10 sandwiches
- 5 boneless chicken breasts (about 3 lbs)
- 1 can tomato paste (6 oz)
- 1 jar spaghetti sauce (15 oz)
- grated Parmesan cheese
- 5 cheese Texas toast (12 pieces)
- Place boneless chicken breast on bottom of crock pot.
- In a bowl, mix tomato paste and spaghetti sauce. “Tweak” the sauce if desired. I like to add Italian herbs.
- Pour mixture over the chicken.
- Cook on high for 7 – 8 hours depending on how many and how big the chicken breast is. It will be done when the chicken can be easily shredded with a fork or tongs.
- Shred chicken
- Place Texas toast into the broiler for 5 minutes.
- Put shredded chicken on top of Texas toast and then grated Parmesan cheese and serve.
- This recipe has lots of potential. One variation I am excited to try is pork in barbecue sauce. Another is use turkey instead of chicken.
- I never stirred the whole time it cooked, so it is truly a put together in the morning and have dinner almost ready when you get home meal.