It is holiday season and my thoughts turn to pie and chocolate. What a great combination! I began my search on the internet for the pie to match my wish, and I found it on the Hershey’s website. This pie is a very rich creamy pie with a wonderful chocolate flavor.
Dark Chocolate Cream Pie
- One 9-inch pie shell
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 t. salt
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 cups milk
- 2 T butter softened
- 1 T. vanilla
- 2 cups (12 oz pkg.) Hershey’s special dark chocolate chips
- Sweetened whipped cream or whipped topping (optional)
- Bake pie shell according to shell directions., Let cool
- Stir together sugar, cornstarch, and salt in 2 quart saucepan. Combine egg yolks and milk with a pouring spout. Gradually blend milk mixture into sugar mixture.
- Cook over medium heat stirring constantly with a whisk, until mixture comes to a boil (will start to thicken). Boil and stir for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat; stir in butter and vanilla.
- Add 1 and 3/4 cups dark chocolate chips; stir until chips are melted and mixture is well blended.
- Pour into prepared pie shell.
- Press plastic wrap onto filling.
- Refrigerate for several hours or until chilled and firm.
- Garnish with whipped cream and remaining chocolate chips
Serves 6 – 8