One of my favorite dessert bars growing up and still is my Grandma Newlin’s “Snickers Bars”. I love this rich chocolate bar with a great flavor. If you could see my recipe card you could tell how well used this recipe is. It is a great bar to make and stick in the freezer until needed. I hope you enjoy it as much as my family does.
“Snickers bars” or Peanutty Carmel Squares
- 2/3 c. butter (not softened very much)
- 1 c. sugar
- 2 c. flour
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1/2 t. baking soda
- 8 Snickers bars (full size)
- 4 T. butter
- 4 T. milk
- 1 c. shredded or flaked coconut
- Few drops almond extract
- Heat oven to 350 degrees
- Butter 9 x 13 pan
- Cream butter with sugar.
- Sift flour, salt, and baking soda and add to creamed mixture
- Mix until crumbly
- Reserve 1 c. crumb mixture
- Spread crumb mixture on bottom of buttered pan and press down.
- Bake for about 8 minutes at 350 degrees
- While crumbs are baking, melt Snickers bars, with 2/3 c. butter and milk in a small saucepan, stirring constantly until snickers bars are completely melted.
- Stir in coconut and almond extract.
- Spread chocolate mixture over baked crumbs
- Top with 1 c. reserved crumbs.
- Bake at 350 degrees for another 12 – 15 minutes until topping begins to brown.
- Cool slightly and cut into bars.
- Buttering the pan is very important. If it isn’t buttered, it is hard to get the bars out intact.
- Before the bars cool completely, cut them. Once they cool, they are very hard to cut.
- They can be stored in the freezer easily.