I was in the chocolate mood the other day, so I pulled a wonderful book I got for Christmas called The Golden Book of Chocolate published by Barron’s. Wow.. what a book. It is a hard back book, with golden edged pages totaling 702 pages, with pictures of the each recipe to drool over. I started flipping through the muffin section and found a recipe that I had most of the ingredients for. So I took the recipe for the Chocolate Surprise Muffins, and adapted it just a little. What I really like about this muffin is that it isn’t a very sweet muffin, but is loaded with chocolate flavor.
Chocolate Surprise Muffins
- 1 1/2 c. flour
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 c. butter, melted
- 2 t. vanilla
- 2 t. baking powder
- 1/2 c. milk
- 4 T. mini chocolate chips
- White chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line cupcake tin with cupcake papers or grease and flour tin.
- Beat flour, sugar, cocoa, eggs, butter, vanilla, baking powder, and milk in a large bowl with mixer on medium speed until blended.
- Spoon fill cupcake papers a little less than 1/2 full.
- Place white chocolate chips piled in the center.
- Cover with more batter to so the papers are 2/3 full.
- Sprinkle mini chocolate chips on top.
- Bake 20 – 25 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool on racks
Makes 12 delicious muffins.
- The original recipe used small chocolates in the center instead of the white chocolate chips.
- Make sure that the white chocolate chips are complete covered with batter or they will poke through the top as they bake.