Popovers are a great alternative to biscuits, if you want a bread to go with your meal. They require few ingredients and taste great, especially with honey butter. They do take a while to cook, and taste best warm, so plan ahead to coordinate finish cooking times to have your meal ready at the same time. But they are worth it!
- 1 cup flour
- 1 c. milk
- 1/2 t. salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 T. butter at room temperature
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray 12 muffin tins or 6 (6 ounce) custard cups with nonstick cooking spray and flour. You can also use a cooking spray with flour mixed in such as Baker’s Joy (which is what I do)
- Blend all ingredients together in mixer for about 2 1/2 minutes.
- Pour batter into prepared cups about 3/4 full.
- Bake until popovers are dark brown and crispy about 45 – 50 minutes.
- Prick with a fork to let the steam escape.
- Serve immediately with softened butter
1. They are hollow in the middle, so don’t panic.
2. Honey butter tastes really good with them. To make it, beat margarine or butter with honey to taste.
3. To make cheese popovers: prepare batter as above except substitute 1/2 garlic salt for salt. After mixing batter, add 1/2 c. shredded Cheddar, Swiss or Parmesan cheese to the batter. Mix just enough to blend it. Pour into muffin tins and bake as before.
4. Very important: Ensure the oven is completely preheated before putting the popovers in and do not open the oven door at all while they are baking because the cool air will cause them to fall!