When I think of Autumn, I think of apples and apple cider. For our church’s Harvest Party, I wanted to bring a “harvestly” dessert, and remembered a great cupcake idea from What’s New, Cupcake (a great cupcake decorating book), for a cupcake that looks like an apple. I wanted a great flavor as well as a cute cupcake so I made apple cider cupcakes. They turned out looking and tasting great. The decorating isn’t very involved and the recipe is easy. I found this recipe on a www.sweettoothsweetlife.com.
Apple Cider Cupcakes
- Spice cake mix (I used Duncan Hines)
- 1 1/3 cups apple cider
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 2 egg whites
- 2 egs
- 1 t. cinnamon
- 1/2 t. nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Blend spice cake mix, apple cider, applesauce, egg whites, eggs, cinnamon, and nutmeg until moistened.
- Beat on Medium speed for 2 minutes
- Pour into cupcake cups
- Bake for 14 – 17 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean
- Allow to cool in pan for 10 minutes, then remove from pan and allow to cool completely on cooling rack
I used Apple Cider Cream Cheese frosting.
Apple Cider Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/2 c unsalted butter softened
- 2 T apple cider
- 1 t. cinnamon
- 4 – 4 1/2 cups powdered sugar (I needed a thick frosting to use for decorating.
- Beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy.
- Add apple cider and cinnamon.
- Slowly add powdered sugar a cup at a time and beat in between.
- Continue to add powdered sugar until desired consistency is reached
- Beat frosting on high speed to add air. It helps thicken the frosting and adds texture to it