You probably have figured out by know that I love recipes that taste wonderful but aren’t time consuming. With two boys, I don’t have a lot of time on my hands. So I am always on the look out for slow cooker recipes that will pass the family approval and be ready when we get home. I tried this one and was very impressed. Potato soup is always a warm filling meal, but I was looking for a twist. Even though this recipe has the word “cheesy” in it, it isn’t an overpowering cheese flavor.
Slow Cooker Cheesy Potato Soup
- 4 slices bacon
- 2 t. onion powder
- 5 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1 t. sea salt
- 1 T. dried chives
- 1/4 t. pepper
- 1/2 c. flour
- 1 c. heavy cream
- 1/2 c. skim milk
- 2 T. butter
- 1 1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook bacon until crispy. Allow to cool on paper towel, then crumble. Place in fridge for later.
- Spray 3 1/2 to 4-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. In cooker, mix potatoes, chicken broth, onion powder, pepper, salt, dried chives, and sea salt.
- Cover and cook on low for 5 hours or until potatoes are starting to be soft.
- Melt butter and mix with skim milk and heavy cream. Whisk in flour to cream mixer and add to slow cooker. Cook on high for 30 minutes or so until soup starts to thicken.
- Add shredded cheese and stir until cheese is melted. Stir in bacon and serve.
Makes 6 servings of 1 2/3 cup each)