My oldest sons loves donut holes and would eat them every day if possible (like most kids). But the amount of sugar on them not to mention the amount of money to buy daily donut holes from a donut shop makes it not desirable. When I saw a recipe for regular muffins labeled glazed doughnut muffins on pinterest from www.sweetpeaskitchen.com, I just had to try it. Below is the recipe with some “tweaks”. I made this recipe two ways: mini muffins and cake balls using my cake ball maker. Let me tell you fresh out of the oven or from the cake ball maker hot and dipped in the glaze can be hard to resist.
Glazed Donut Mini Muffins or Glazed Donut Cake Balls
Ingredients for Muffins/Cake balls
- 1/4 c. butter softened
- 1/4 c. canola oil
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1/3 c. brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 t. baking powder
- 1/2 t. nutmeg
- 3/4 t. cinnamon
- 3/4 t. salt
- 1 1/2 t. vanilla
- 2 2/3 c. flour
- 1 c. milk
Ingredients for Glaze:
- 3 T. butter melted
- 1 c. powdered sugar
- 3/4 t. vanilla
- 2 T. hot water
Directions for making mini muffins
- Preheat oven to 425º F. Line muffin tin with papers.
- Beat together butter, oil, and sugars until smooth. Beat in eggs one at a time.
- With mixer on low, add baking powder, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt, and vanilla until just combined.
- Alternate adding flour and milk to butter mixture.
- Spoon batter into cups.
- Bake until muffin tops are a pale golden and springy to touch, about 12 – 15 minutes.
- Cool muffins in tin for about 5 minutes, then transfer to wire rack to cool for 10 minutes before glazing
Directions for making donut holes with cake ball maker
- Plug in cake ball maker and allow to completely heat.
- Use butter to grease wells. ( I use a paper towel wadded up with butter on one end)
- Fill bottom wells mostly full with batter and close lid. If more full, they will overflow as they rise.
- Bake for 3 1/2 minutes then open lid. They should be starting to look golden.
- Allow to bake for an additional 30 seconds with lid open before removing.
- Allow to cool slightly, then follow instructions for glazing.
Directions for making glaze and applying glaze.
- In a medium bowl whisk together melted butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, and water until smooth. Should be slightly thicker than runny stage.
- When muffins /donut holes are slightly cool, dip the whole donut hole or muffin top into the glaze and allow glaze to harden.
- Once harden, dip a second time.
- Allow to harden and serve.
- Once donut holes and muffins are glazed, set on wire rack that on a cookie sheet to allow extra glaze to drip off.
- This recipe can be made into regular size muffins as well.
- This recipe makes a lot. After some batter tasting to tweak spices, I made 24 mini muffins and 35 donut holes. With that many I had to make double the glaze recipe.
- Each mini muffin or donut hole has about 70 calories.
- I use wooden chopsticks to remove my donut holes and cake balls from the maker. They don’t seem to tear them like a fork or knife and won’t scratch the non-stick finish.
- I make these on the weekend and my son can then have several of them every day if he desires as part of his breakfast or a snack. Since there is a lot less glaze and sugar in the recipe, he doesn’t have a sugar high.