I love taquitos, crispitos, flauta,and anything else that resembles those, but don’t eat them very often because of the calories and grease from frying. So when I found this recipe, I couldn’t wait to try this baked version. I was also excited that it had directions for freezing them to make later. What a great idea for a fast good meal later as well as for dinner tonight. I had to try it. I found this recipe on www.chef-in-training.com website. I have only changed it a tad to accommodate what I had in my pantry.
Baked Creamy Chicken TaquitosMakes 12 servings
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup green salsa
- 1 T. fresh lime juice
- 1 t. chili powder
- 1/2 t. onion powder
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 T. dried cilantro (fresh can be used)
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 12 flour tortillas (6 inch works well)
- sea salt
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 425º F. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl combine cream cheese, salsa, lime juice, chili powder, onion powder, garlic, and cilantro.
- Add shredded chicken and cheddar cheese and mix until combined.
- Spread 2 – 3 tablespoons of chicken mixure on 1/3 of tortilla and then roll as tight as possible.
- Place on cookie sheet seam side down.
- Continue with the rest of the tortillas, placing so they are not touching.
- Spray lightly with cooking spray and lightly sprinkle with sea salt. (Stop at this point if wishing to freeze)
- Bake for 15 – 20 minutes or until tortillas are crispy and lightly brown.
- If tortillas are not very soft, warm a couple at a time between paper towels in the microwave for just a few seconds to make soft.
- If you want to freeze for later, flash freeze them at the point before baking them. Then wrap individually in plastic wrap and store in freezer bag for up to 3 months. When ready to eat them just pull the desired amount from freezer and cook in preheated 425º oven for 20 minutes. There isn’t a need to defrost first.
- I used some rotisserie chicken that I had. Not having to cook chicken first helps speed up the prep time.
- The cooking spray and sea salt are important. They are what help the tortillas to crisp up.
- Light cream cheese works just as well as regular if you are watching calories. I used the light version.
- Estimated 196 calories per taquito