Here is a moist not overly sweet muffin that is almost “healthy”. It has a great chocolate flavor, and the peanut butter chips just add but don’t over power it. They make a great on the go muffin or bedtime snack for the kids. I tried this recipe out on my sons, and my chocolate-peanut butter loving child loved them! He didn’t even find the oatmeal that is mixed into the recipe. The oatmeal just adds a little bit of texture but not crunch to this great recipe.
Chocolate Oatmeal Peanut Butter Chip Muffins
- 3 T. soft butter
- 1/2 c. lightly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 c. white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 t. vanilla
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 1 c. all purpose flour
- 3/4 c. quick oats
- 1 t. baking soda
- 1 1/2 t. baking powder
- 1 t. salt
- 1/2 c. dutch process cocoa powder
- 1 c. plus 2 T. buttermilk
- 1 c. peanut butter chips
- Preheat oven to 400 º F.
- Grease muffin tins or line with papers.
- Combine butter, sugars, vanilla, and egg until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cocoa powder, and cinnamon.
- Alternate adding flour mixture and buttermilk to the sugar/egg mixture. ending with buttermilk.
- Fold in peanut butter chips.Handle gently to prevent toughness.
- Fill muffin tins 2/3 full.
- Bake for 15 – 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow muffins to cool in tins for about 10 minutes before removing to finish cooling on wire rack.
- Store in a sealed container in the fridge.
- Re-heat for 20 seconds for extra enjoyment.