School is right around the corner, which means school lunches are too. All busy moms and dads know that anything that any meal that is easy to to put together and makes great leftovers is a winner for school lunches. With this thought in mind I decided to work on a new recipe that would be a nice twist on a taco but a lot easy to send. Baked chicken won ton tacos was my first try at it. My boys gave it a thumbs up and my husband asked me to make them again (always a good sign). My husband loved them so much that he finished the leftovers off the next couple of mornings for breakfast. I made the tacos pretty mild since my boys do not like a lot of spice. (I am working on that though).
- 2 chicken breast
- 1 T olive oil
- 3 oz cream cheese – room temperature
- 1/4 t. black pepper
- 1 t. chili powder
- 1/2 t. garlic powder
- 3 T. green salsa
- 1/4 t. cumin
- Shredded cheese
- Won ton wrappers
- Muffin tin
- Toppings (lettuce, sour cream, salsa etc.)
- Preheat oven to 425 º
- Cut chicken breast into pieces. They don’t have to be very small since we will shred the chicken.
- Sprinkle the chicken with the black pepper, chili powder, garlic powder, and cumin.
- Brown the chicken pieces in olive oil until completely cooked.
- Place the browned chicken, cream cheese, and green salsa into a mixing bow. A mixer works great to shred the chicken while combining the ingredients at the same time.
- Place a won ton wrapper in each cup of the muffin tin, pressing the center down into it with the edges sticking up.
- Scoop about 1 T. of chicken mixture into the bottom of each wrapper.
- Sprinkle with shredded cheese.
- Bake for approximately 8 minutes. The wrapper edges will be golden brown and crispy
- Serve with any toppings desired.
I really enjoyed them with shredded lettuce, sour cream, and a little salsa. I like a little spicer food than my boys. My boys liked them as is. They tell me “salad” is for girls. My husband enjoyed them topped that night and as is the next morning.
- I love using my Kitchen-aid mixer to shred chicken. It works wonderful. I will never shred chicken by hand if I can help it.
- You can use rotisserie chicken and skip the browning chicken step. Just add the spices to the mixer step.
- They will store in plastic wrap in the fridge for a couple days before the wrappers are too soggy.